Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Small Batch Apple Butter

On a scale from "I could explode" to "I'm a robot and have no feelings," how excited are you for Fall to be here?



I'm pretty darn excited, but I'm not quite ready to jump on the pumpkinize everything bandwagon. That will come soon I'm sure. In the mean time, this small batch of apple butter was just the taste of Fall I was looking for. Since I live alone and don't know many people in the area, I didn't want to make a whole ton. Plus I mostly just wanted to use up a few apples that were getting past their prime. Ready to make your own? (I adapted this recipe from Sweet Style CA)



You Will Need:

-5 small/medium apples, I used Gala
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-2 tbsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp cloves
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 tsp grated ginger
-a little lemon juice, if you're fancy



Put sauce pot on low heat while you are peeling and chopping the apples into small chunks. Add the apples to your pot as you chop them and stir occasionally as you go. I found it helpful to keep the lid on the pot when I wasn't adding apples so they steam could help tenderize.



After all the apples are added, stir well and add brown sugar and spices. Let simmer on low for about 15 minutes while you try to figure out how to work the immersion (stick) blender. Or real blender. Or potato masher. Whatever you've got.

Once the apples where good and soft, which is easy to tell if you taste one, pour the contents of the pot into a bowl or blender and mix until a smooth texture is reached. This is the first time I've used my immersion blender and it's a pretty stinkin' awesome little gadget, if you're thinking about getting one.



Next, put the apples back in the pot for just a few more minutes (about 10) on low heat with the lid off this time to help it thicken up. I forgot to add any lemon juice to mine like the original recipe calls for and so far it hasn't been a problem. I have a feeling that's meant as a preservative though so it might a good idea to put in a squeeze or two from a lemon and add more cinnamon to cover the taste.



It's all ready to slather on some toast and enjoy! Or just eat it from the jar. Let's be honest here.

Hope you enjoy this little taste of Fall. I have a feeling Greenville will be beautiful when all the leaves change colors so I'm excited to see it. What are you looking forward to most? Any traditions to help welcome the new season? I'd love to know!

Sheila



2 comments:

  1. I'm totally gonna make this, SHESHE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear how it turns out! I bet it will be amazing :)

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks so much for stopping by. Please feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts or subscribe using the buttons on the top right so we can get together again soon. Thanks friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...