Thursday, July 18, 2013

Kale and Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms.

Are you a mushroom lover, or a hater?


There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground on this. Mushrooms have been high on my lists of favorite foods since childhood. I was that weird kid who hated whipped cream and coconut, but give me a plate of mushrooms and/or olives and I'd be one happy camper. To this day I have a tendency to add mushrooms into everything I cook.

When a friend shared this recipe for a kale and artichoke spread, I instantly felt the need to add mushrooms. And cheese. Because all good things include cheese.

You will need:

3 cups kale
1/2 can of artichoke hearts, about 5
2 gloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
juice of half a lemon (about 1 tbsp)
a sprinkle of salt and pepper
8 oz of mushroom caps, I used Baby Bella 'cause that's my favorite
1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, because you usually forget and have to wait on it later. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat with the minced garlic. Chop your kale as finely as possible before cooking it in olive oil. I don't have a fancy food processor, so I just use a knife and patience and it works to a varying degree. As the kale is cooking down, finely chop the artichoke hearts and add them to the pan. Squeeze the half a lemon over top of the mixture and sprinkle salt and pepper. Cook together on medium-low heat for a few minutes stirring occasionally.

As you're keeping an eye on that, wash the mushrooms and remove the stems. You could chop the stems and cook with the kale mixture but I chose to use them for other purposes (i.e. I ate immediately). When I bought these 'shrooms I had no intention of making stuffed mushrooms so I wasn't concerned about the size. Some of these look like baby mushrooms next to their momma mushroom. I would recommend being a little choosier to find slightly larger mushrooms if you buy them to stuff. Spoon in the mixture and lightly pack it. Top with a tiny sprinkle of cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes. Or until you get impatient and decide you're hungry and just want to eat them.

We enjoyed them with a slice of sunflower bread and fresh green beans. Delicious!

Do you have a favorite food you add into everything? It is also mushrooms!? I'd love to know.

Sheila :)

P.S. Today is the last day to enter the giveaway if you're interested. I'll announce a winner tomorrow. Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks so much for stopping by. Please feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts or subscribe using the buttons on the top right so we can get together again soon. Thanks friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...